January 29, 2011

One Man's Trash...

is a little boy's new ride!


Friday morning after Maher's friends were dropped off for the day, I noticed a little gem outside our front window.  Next to our neighbors trashcan, that was sitting at the curb waiting for the trash trucks to come, was a perfectly good Little Tike's Cozy Coupe.  I was a little taken aback by the fact that it was there: 1. those neighbors do not have children and 2.  it looked like there was absolutely nothing wrong with it.  I pondered for a moment: is that really being thrown away, did someone accidentally place their car next to some one's trash can on trash day, if the trash people come by they won't ask twice they'll just take it and throw it away.  I decided that if someone wanted to throw it away then it would be fine if I took it or if someone didn't mean to place it next to a trash can on trash day then I would be saving the car for them.  I decided I would help out.  I looked down at the three little faces staring up at me, wondering when they would be fed their breakfast, and then had a new dilemma: do I leave three small children in the house while run across the front yard to get some trash?!   I thought of the joy this car would bring them if we had it at our house and decided it was worth it.  I left the front door open and jetted, to keep the kids safe but also so no one would see me taking the trash, across the front yard, scooped up my treasure, ran back to the house and shut the door.  Instantly Maher tried to climb in the side, the little boy crawled to open the door and the little girl looked as if I was crazy.  I told them we would have to wait until I could clean the dirt off the car and put it in the garage, this only caused to melt downs, from both boys; but was easily rectified by the announcement of breakfast!

I washed off the car today and found that the front wheels don't really stay in place.  After a few pushes the car rests on top of the front wheels and it doesn't roll.  However this did not stop Maher from having an hours worth of fun in it!





No comments: