March 5, 2013

Letter Fun

Earlier this month Maher and I were making our Valentine cards to send out to his friends and cousins when Maher asked if he could, "draw his own name".  Prepared for a ton of crazy curvy lines all over the card, I said yes and to my surprise Maher wrote a perfect little "M" and asked, "Now what letter do us need now?"  I told him "A" and wrote one on a separate piece of paper.  A little unsure we wrote one together next to his "M".  He had already been drawing "H" for a while so he quickly drew a, "one and another one and then you connect them in the middle".  "E" was pretty simple too drawing a one with a line at the top, middle and bottom.  I modeled "R" for him again on the scrap paper, and picking up his directional words told him to draw a one then a 1/2 circle, and then a line that stands out.  He did the first to steps and exclaimed, "Look Mommy I made a "P"!" then after finsihing his "R" he told me, "Look Mommy it looks like a man! I made R a man!"
 
His very first signature!

We will eventually work on the posture :)

After spending some time signing his name he has really begun to capture the excitement of writing new words.  He even offered to make our grocery list for us!  At first I laughed it off until he came to me with paper and a crayon and said, "Mommy, we need milk, how does I draw milk?  What letter does we need first?"
Here's his first grocery list:
RICE
MILK
CARROTS

 Everyday now he practices writing something, it's amazing every time I see him figure out something new! 

3 comments:

Aunt Chelie said...

I just love the way he talks! And such a smart little guy - you must be so proud!

Momma Mere said...

I love it too Aunt Chelie, it makes me so happy he loves to learn!

Mammasita said...

Ummm...well I am very impressed and am now very aware of how much work your older cousins need!

Well, done Maher. "M" are crazy hard and you have mastered it beautifully.